2018 6th Annual National Week of Action Against Incarcerating Youth
We are looking for groups and individuals around the United States to organize events.
GOALS: Another world is possible, and it begins with community based programs and alternatives such as rehabilitation, therapy, counseling, job readiness workshops, tutoring, more community programs and centers, and transformative and restorative justice programs in the community and in schools to address conflicts. Incarceration is not the solution, but the problem. Once youth are involved in the juvenile justice system, it is hard for them to get out of it. Please support youth and their futures and demand that no more youth are incarcerated no matter the crime/harm they have committed. Incarceration does nothing to address the needs of the community, those harmed, and the youth who have committed the harm.
YOUTH: The juvenile justice system targets four youth groups for incarceration; they are the following, in no specific order: (1) Youth of Color, (2) Youth with Disabilities, (3) Economically Disadvantaged Youth, and (4) LGBTTQQIA Youth.
PROBLEM: The three step oppressive punishment process targeting youth is:
- Criminalization of Youth is the stigmatization of youth through laws and norms that are based on their behavior, dress, ability, socializing, identity, and community in which they live in.
- Policing of Youth is the surveillance and social control of youth by law enforcement and those in disciplinary roles.
- Incarceration of Youth is the punitive disciplinary act that is taken by the criminal justice system if a youth breaks the law and is found guilty.
Click Here for 2018 FLYER
Click Here to Join our ThunderClap to Promote the #NWAAIY
Click Here for Facebook National Event Page
Click Here for # No Youth In Prison Sign — Print off and Take a Picture With
Print out and laminate this “Against Incarcerating Youth” sign:
- PDF of #NoYouthInPrison personal letter size sign # No Youth In Prison
Example of sign: https://www.youtube.com/
EVENTS IN STATES
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
Sponsors do not give money, but rather support the cause and strive to promote and organize events for the National Week of Action Against Incarcerating Youth.
(goal for 2018 is 150 sponsors)
- Academy for Peace Education
- Peace Studies Journal
- Transformative Justice Journal
- Poetry Behind the Walls
- Wisdom Behind the Walls
- Durango Peace and Justice
- Outdoor Empowerment
- Green Theory and Praxis Journal
- Institute for Hip Hop Studies
- Durango Prisoner Letter Writing
- Durango Vegan Society