2017 2nd Annual Transformative Justice, Prison Abolition, and Anarchist Criminology Conference
2017 2nd Annual Transformative Justice, Prison Abolition and Anarchist Criminology Conference
March 25 and 26, 2017
Senate Chambers, Student Union
Fort Lewis College, Durango, Colorado
Free and Open to the Public
DESCRIPTION AND CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
Activists and scholars working within the realm of challenging the current punitive criminal justice system are welcome to submit for the 2nd Annual Transformative Justice, Prison Abolition & Anarchist Criminology Conference. This conference influenced by scholar-activism is structured around challenging and abolishing punitive justice, while promoting community-based alternatives such as restorative justice, transformative justice, community circles, healing groups, and Hip Hop battling. This conference welcomes all those interested in providing performances, workshops, lecturers, teach-ins, roundtables, and film screenings. Topics of interest include prison abolition, prisoner support, critiques of political repression, police abolition, de-colonialism, abolition of zero tolerance policies and the school to prison pipeline, all forms of academic repression, corporate repression, state terrorism, all things pertaining to youth justice, total liberation, intersectionality, horizontalism, LGBTTQQIA, mutual aid, disability liberation, Black liberation, indigenous sovereignty, racial justice, animal liberation, environmental justice, green anarchism, anarchism, and justice. This conference also welcomes all forms of art and music for social justice such as Hip Hop activism.
Send via e-mail as an attachment the following:
1. 200 to 250 word abstract.
2. 80 to 100 word third person one paragraph biography.
3. Title of presentation.
4. Type of presentation – workshop, teach-in, lecture on a panel, or round-table facilitation.
Send to: email@example.com – subject of e-mail: “2017 Conference Presentation Proposal”
Deadline to submit is Thursday March 9, 2017 – You will be notified of acceptance or not by March 11, 2017.
- The 2st Annual Transformative Justice, Prison Abolition & Anarchist Criminology Conference promotes a safer space in which all must feel welcome, supported, and secure. No one should endorse or tolerate racism, sexism, anti-LGBTTQQIA sentiments, ableism, speciesism, or any other kind of oppressive behavior. Please make sure to not take pictures of anyone without permission. Please also do not give information out of others or answer questions about others without permission.
- We encourage a sober space as well, so please do not drink, shoot, or inhale intoxicants into your body closely before or while in attendance at the conference.
- All rooms and bathrooms are accessible. Please avoid wearing fragrances or strong scents, as the odors may cause allergic reactions. If you have any requests for assistance such as a translator, note taker, medication, childcare, or physical accessibility, please let us know by e-mailing Anthony firstname.lastname@example.org. (We understand this conference is not fully inclusive because of cost, but we do want to address these issues as they are needed to confront ableism).
- Each room has a projector, computer, and the internet. We will also have a video camera recording each session, which will be uploaded onto Save the Kid’s YouTube. We will also be taking pictures, which will be uploaded on the internet.
March 25, 2017 – Saturday
- 10:00am welcoming
- 10:30am to 12:00 – Panel One
- 12:00 to 1:00 – Lunch (Cafeteria)
- 1:00pm to 2:30pm – Panel Two
- 2:30 t0 4:00pm – Panel Three
- 4:00 t0 5:30pm – Panel Four
March 26, 2017 – Sunday
- 10:00am t0 11:30 -Panel Five
- 11:30 to 1:00 – Panel Six
- 1:00 to 2:30 – Panel Seven