2017 5th Annual National Week of Action Against Incarcerating Youth
We are looking for groups and individuals around the United States to organize events.
GOALS: Another world is possible, and it begins with community based programs and alternatives such as rehabilitation, therapy, counseling, job readiness workshops, tutoring, more community programs and centers, and transformative and restorative justice programs in the community and in schools to address conflicts. Incarceration is not the solution, but the problem. Once youth are involved in the juvenile justice system, it is hard for them to get out of it. Please support youth and their futures and demand that no more youth are incarcerated no matter the crime/harm they have committed. Incarceration does nothing to address the needs of the community, those harmed, and the youth who have committed the harm.
YOUTH: The juvenile justice system targets four youth groups for incarceration; they are the following, in no specific order: (1) Youth of Color, (2) Youth with Disabilities, (3) Economically Disadvantaged Youth, and (4) LGBTTQQIA Youth.
PROBLEM: The three step oppressive punishment process targeting youth is:
- Criminalization of Youth is the stigmatization of youth through laws and norms that are based on their behavior, dress, ability, socializing, identity, and community in which they live in.
- Policing of Youth is the surveillance and social control of youth by law enforcement and those in disciplinary roles.
- Incarceration of Youth is the punitive disciplinary act that is taken by the criminal justice system if a youth breaks the law and is found guilty.
EVENTS IN STATES
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Save the Kids
- Poetry Behind the Walls
- Institute for Critical Animal Studies
- Students for Critical Animal Studies
- Radical Animal Studies and Total Liberation Book Series
- Critical Animal Studies and Theory Book Series
- Wisdom Behind the Walls
- Fort Lewis College Criminology Club
- Durango Prisoner Letter Writing
- Durango Hip Hop
- Fort Lewis College Animal Liberation Club
- Fort Lewis College Sociology Club
- Fort Lewis College Gender and Women’s Studies Program
- Fort Lewis College Sociology
- Fort Lewis College Black Student Union
- Durango ADAPT
- Peace Studies Journal
- Transformative Justice Journal
- Green Theory and Praxis Journal
- Arissa Media Group
NWAAIY 2017 GOALS
- 200 Events Nationally
- 50 News Reports
- 40 Cities
- 10,000 Invited to the Facebook Event Page
- 150 Sponsors