Join Save the Kids
JOIN SAVE THE KIDS
If you would like to volunteer with Save the Kids, visit our website (www.savethekidsgroup.org) and contact the chapter, program, or project you would like to get involved with.
2. BECOME A PARTNER
- Are you a community-based grass-roots organization (501c3 or otherwise) that wants to work with fellow social and youth justice organizations dedicated to ending the incarceration of youth and the school to prison pipeline?
- Do you agree with STK’s principles and engage in activism?
If you say YES to these questions, please contact us and let’s make this movement bigger and more united!
3. START A STK CHAPTER
- Have you been involved with STK as an intern or volunteer, or are you dedicated to keeping youth out of incarceration or ending the school to prison pipeline?
- Do you agree with STK’s mission, purpose, principles, programs, and projects?
- Are you dedicated to prison abolition, transformative justice, and Hip Hop activism? If so, we would be very interested in working with you in developing a chapter in your city/region or at your school/college.
- Each chapter has a committee with coordinators (noted in the STK Manual – see below), monthly public meetings, maintains social media outreach, and has three programs which include: (1) Juvenile Detention Workshops, (2) Public Education Forums, and (3) Activism Actions. Click here for more details on Chapter Programs.
4. THE FOLLOWING ARE PDFs FOR ORGANIZING
- Save the kids Price Sheet
- Against Incarcerating Youth Sign
- STK Sign Up Sheet
- STK Logo for Photos
- Malcolm X Flyer
- Ending the School to Prison Pipeline Problems, Alternatives, and Tactics
- # No Youth In Prison
- Save the Kids Handout 2016
- Schools Vs Prisons
- STPP and LGBT Youth
- Locating the STPP by ACLU
- Are Our Children Being Pushed into Prison?
- STPP and Youth with Disabilities – 5Ss of the STPP
- Campaign for Youth Justice – Let’s Get Kids Out of Adult Jails, Courts, and Prisons
PUBLIC EDUCATION FORUM MATERIALS
Stop Targeting Youth Public Education Forum is meant to education the public critically about the school to prison pipeline, transformative justice, and Hip Hop culture. The two types of forums that Save the Kids hosts include:
1. Public Education forum on the school to prison pipeline and transformative justice
2. Hip Hop Revolutionary Education Show for community, families, and youth
The chapter uses a form, STK 20 Step Process for Organizing a Public Education Forum to develop event.
- STK 20 Step Process for Organizing a Public Education Forum
- School to Prison Pipeline Bingo
- Save the Kids Movie Recommendations
2. Protest at a school district office against punitive justice, zero tolerance, and SROs in schools
The following are are manuals and trainings STK uses Midnight Special Law Collective, Ruckus Society Campus Activism, Organizing for Power, Organizing for Change resource page, Training for Change, Highlander Research and Education Center, and the Earth First! Manual.
YOUTH WORKSHOPS IN JUVENILE DETENTION MATERIALS (Education Behind the Walls)
Save the Kids’ philosophy of working with youth begins inside the walls of incarceration by providing educational programs. We first build a safe and respectful relation with youth that are incarcerated, who when they are released to go home again, will know and keep working with STK. Most youth who are involved in the system have a low level of trust of others, because so many people have abused and hurt them in some manner. The workshops include fun games, group-building and life-skills activities, and critical discussions. The fully-volunteer workshops are based on people sitting in circles (the facilitators sit in the circle in-between the youth and not on one side with the youth on the other), writing and drawling on chart paper about ideas, and running around doing games like Big Wind Blows, Duck Duck Goose, Musical Chairs, Keep Up, and Pattern Ball, not presentations or lecturing at the youth. The workshops have Code of Conduct, Dress Code, and Ground-Rules. Save the Kids has four workshops: (1) 2 – 3 Mini-Workshop, which includes Poetry Behind the Walls, (2) 8 Hour One Day Workshop (uses the HIPP Manual), (3) 18 to 20 Weekend Workshop (uses the HIPP Manual), and Help Open Possibilities (HOP) Workshop. Click here for the HIPP Manual, experiential education activities, and/or expressive education activities. For these workshops feel free to adapt and edit this Certificate for participants – Click Here for Save the Kids Certificate
- 2 to 3 Hour Mini-workshop STK
- HIPP Manual
- Permission Slip
- STK Volunteer Rules Education behind the walls – Code of Conduct, Dress Code, and Ground-Rules
- Save the Kids group-building activities video – Click Here
- For presentations, workshops, trainings and tabling use these Memes and Infographs
KNOW MORE ABOUT SAVE THE KIDS
- STK Handout 2016
- Save the Kids Campaigns
- Save the Kids overview video – Click Here
- Here is three videos to understand our philosophy of Save the Kids better:
Part 1. Video
Part 2. Video
Part 3. Video
- STK Monthly Meeting Agenda – Click Here
To start a chapter or become involved please contact:
Anthony Nocella, National Co-Coordinator, email@example.com or 315-657-2911
- For the PDF of the information above – Save the Kids 2016 Manual